Saturday, May 18, 2013

SLW #21: Tender Hips, "City"


It’s a little disconcerting how much time I’ve spent on the website of The Pioneer, the student weekly of Walla Walla’s Whitman College, but the output of their alumni continues to bring me back in search of more information about my favorite Seattle bands. We’ve already talked to you about Chastity Belt and Dude York, but Tender Hip's debut, City EP, is more than enough justification to keep an eye out for the threesome of Todd Wallenius, Alex Miller, and Matt Bachmann as well.

On the surface their sound is relatively simple, consisting of wild, guitar-centric rock-and-roll with infectiously danceable shout-choruses; however, Tender Hips also have an aura of bright-eyed, unbridled conviction that, to me, makes them as akin to Vancouver’s Japandroids as to Dude York.

Personally, I can’t remember the last time I heard a more impassioned statement-of-purpose than the record's title track, “City”, which contains all of the above nuances plus a killer sax solo by Levi Gillis.  Lines like, “I’m coming to your city, so batten down the hatches/Aint got no fire but a pocket full of matches” and “I can’t tell you my future, but right now that don’t matter” are both a credo and a warning from the young band and the message comes across loud and clear: Tender Hips have arrived. 

City EP was released this past Tuesday (the 14th) and you can download it here. You can also check out the band at the Rendezvous on June 13 and at Heartland on the 19th (June).

No comments:

Post a Comment